6.15.2010

our forest in the living room




after seeing an amazing post on design sponge of walls painted with birch trees here, i knew i had to find a place to do this in my house. it looked too amazing not to copy. so our newly christened "green monster" wall that we finished painting the weekend prior got the treatment.


i found a stock photo i liked of trees on istockphoto.com and then manipulated it in illustrator to fit the wall space i needed to fill. then i printed the image out onto 3 separate sheets of transparency paper since my wall is super long and it wouldn't fit the image on one and project large enough. then i projected the image onto the wall and traced it out with chalk. i tried to keep the chalk within the lines so i could just cover the chalk with the paint.





i found that using a smaller artist paint brush absorbed less paint and went on more smoothly. i was using the flat green wall paint we had leftover from painting just mixed with some flat white paint of the same brand to make the color lighter. it took 2 days to draw and paint all of the trees since my wall is so enormous and had about 20 trees on it.



it turned out awesome. i left the bird in from the original istockphoto image since i thought it added a little cheek to the wall.


the husband loves it too which makes it even better. it turned out great and makes the room so much more fun and interesting to look at without the use of a million frames on it. which is good since we didn't know how to fill such a huge wall without making it busy as crap. mission accomplished!! so if you think it looks awesome then you should jump on in and try it yourself!



10 comments:

  1. This is AMAZING!! Nice work!
    (And I'm glad you've posted more recently!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I just stumbled onto your blog from googling wrap around labels, and this is so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is AWESOME!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome! i freakin' love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it - so pretty! Understated, but very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had almost the same idea to do to my big brown wall(branches and birds, not whole trees)....only my hubby shot it down before i could implement it. :(

    but now that you've done it, and he can see it really does look TOTALLY AWESOME!, maybe he'll still let me do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I so want to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that seriously looks so great! i commented forever ago about featuring your wedding and just saw that you replied to me in the comments! if you are still interested, could you email me? I couldn't find an email address or any way to contact you anywhere on your blog!!

    jessica@thebudgetsavvybride.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so amazing! And once I show the hubs, I'm sure he'll want to do it in our bamboo green bedroom. =)

    ReplyDelete