2.18.2010

crepe paper poppy diy

so i am making a paper flower bouquet for a girl who saw what i did on here and wanted to make one. she thought it would be easier on her to pay me to do it so she could focus on other wedding insanity. she LOVES poppies and wanted them in her bouquet. so i decided to give it a shot at making them since it didn't seem too hard after looking at photos. i would love to know how to make them anyway since i think poppies are awesome too. turns out they are the easiest flower i have made so far and i love how they look. i wanted to share the DIY with you kids so you could make some too. i apologize for the photo coloring. i made these at night (when i do most crafts) and the indoor lighting SUCKS for good shots.

first you need a few pieces of brown crepe paper. the piece on the left is for the fringe in the center of the flower. the other 2 are basically the same size. one you will ball up and put in the center of the other to make the flower's center. i tried to make it more like a gamburger patty than round so it would be more like the shape of the center of a real flower. size is based on how big you want it to be and how big your flower is. i didn't measure a single thing for this entire process. you can go by the squares for inches if you need to since they are on a cutting mat.



put the crepe ball in the middle of the piece and wrap the outer piece around it so it looks like a tadpole basically.


crepe paper tadpole


the piece for the fringe was already folded in half when i took the photo so ques on length. cut little snips in it.


put your tadpole center on a piece of floral wire with floral tape.


then wrap the fringe around the center piece and tape to secure.



this is how it should look. i put the top of the fringe pretty close to the top edge of the center ball to keep it looking proper and nice.


now you need 4 pieces of double sided crepe paper. i just use spray adhesive to stick 2 pieces together with the grain going in the same direction. i used both sides the same color for this project. doubling the crepe makes it hold your shapes better. cut the petals to whatever size flower you like. then use your fingers to stretch and shape the petals working from the middle out. don't pull too much though.


then wrap the first petal around your center.



place the second petal directly opposite the first. place the remaining two petals the same way but 90 degrees from the first two. you want the petal's center to be where the edges of 2 petals meet.


wrap all of the petals with floral tape securely.


voila! easy and freaking sweet!!!


how amazing do these look!?!! for the ones i made for myself i put brown glitter on the centers to add some sparkle. i find any excuse to put glitter on something.


enjoy these fabulous darlings all year round! i hope you have fun playing with them. and don't forget that not all poppies have dark centers so they can be lighter if you like. just google poppy images and get inspired!

18 comments:

  1. Those are so beautiful!!! What great colors. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poppies! I can't wait to try these myself. Thanks for showing us how.

    (I found you via One Pretty Thing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked you on my blog. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are great! just happened upon your blog for a label download. loving the rest of your posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL!!! Gotta love flowers...and yours are divine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are sooooooooo pretty. I can not wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!

    Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

    I'd appreciate your letting me know if that's OK.

    Thanks,

    Nancy Ward
    http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nancy,
    link to anything you like! thanks :)
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those look great! My fiance and I have been looking for a good diy paper poppy pattern for our wedding, and I have to say I think yours trumps everything else I've found, including the ones on Martha Stewart. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so pretty. I love poppies!! I'm including these in a post at DollarStoreCrafts.com on saturday. http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/06/make-crepe-pap…lower-corsages/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having a poppy inspired wedding and these are PERFECT. Here are mine! http://elevencubed.blogspot.com/2010/07/diy-poppies.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. they turned out lovely with the tissue paper. nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I discovered it just in time for my bedroom makeover (poppy-themed)

    I made my own here:
    http://swingncocoa.blogspot.com/2011/05/orange-flowered-weekend.html

    I didn't realize you could actually buy crepe paper in sheets, so mine are made from the party streamer kind. Hence the small petals. I'll be making some of these for mother's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made some of these and they turned out way cute! Thanks for the tutorial, I posted a link on my blog on the tutorials page!

    Yvette
    www.yvette-keeping-it-real.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable!! Poppies are my favorite. I've tried growing them, but (as my kids will tell you), I can't grow ANYTHING flowery...or fishy...NOW I don't have to grow them or even wait to pick one that'll last a day! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete